Thank you for choosing PowerLung.
When used as directed, PowerLung provides more than breathing exercise. PowerLung is proven in independent research to train breathing as it trains and strengthens the 12 sets of muscles used in breathing.
Unlike any other product available today, PowerLung can be used independently or in conjunction with other training to tone, strengthen and condition your breathing muscles.
Quick Reference Chart
The Inhalation Control Dial and the Exhalation Control Dial adjust independently and have no effect on each other. The numbers on the control dials are for reference and to track your progress. They are not measurements. “1″ is the lowest setting on any Control Dial.
To increase the setting, turn the Control Dial clockwise. To decrease the setting, turn the Control Dial, counter-clockwise. Arrows are on the Control Dials to assist you.
Your Inhalation Control Dial setting (from 1 to 6) may be different from your Exhalation Control Dial setting (from 1 to 3). As you advance in your PowerLung training, you may find yourself adjusting the Control Dials at different times.
The Control Dials can be completely unscrewed if decreased too far. Be careful to avoid this so damage to the PowerLung does not occur.
Changing the Control Dial sets the Training Threshold Level. The size of the opening through which you breathe remains constant regardless of the setting you select. This provides consistency in the flow of air as you make adjustments. Change in the rate of air flow is a result of your ability. The range between the lowest and highest settings is almost infinite.
How To Know What Settings To Use
Everybody is unique and everybody’s breathing ability is different. Do not set the Control Dials too high. It only makes the exercises too difficult and does not mean you will improve more quickly. Keep good, deep breathing form when using PowerLung.
- Turn the Control Dial one full turn to increase the setting and repeat the same breathing process. Continue the increase, then breathe pattern until you can no longer fill/empty your lungs completely in 3 seconds, the sound of the breath is very light, or you feel like you are really working hard but only getting air into and out of the upper part of your lungs.
- When one of these instances occurs, you have reached your maximum inhale/exhale range and the setting is too high to give you benefit.
- To reach your ideal setting begin decreasing the Control until you find a setting midway between the high end and low end of your range.
A complete turn causes a significant change in the setting. Use 1/8 of a turn adjustments for more accuracy. Do not let your pride or ego get in the way of good deep breathing. However, do not make it so easy, you do not receive the benefits of exercise and conditioning your breathing muscles.
When to Increase Your Training Settings
The more regularly you do any exercise the easier it becomes. The same is true when you train with PowerLung. When you find it easy either for breathing in or breathing out through your PowerLung, you are ready to increase your setting.
If inhaling is easy, then turn the Inhalation Control clockwise 1/8 of a turn. If exhaling is easy, then turn the Exhalation Control clockwise 1/8 of a turn.
You Are Ready To Begin
The 2 programs presented here, Training and Warm Up/Cool Down, are designed to help you train and strengthen your breathing muscles.
The following program is the foundation for any new or returning PowerLung user. It is designed to train deep breathing and strengthen and train the respiratory muscles.
The recommended use is 3 sets of 10 breathing repetitions twice each day. Each recommended use period takes about 5 minutes at most.
- Breathe in through your PowerLung for 3 seconds. Fill your lungs as completely as possible in this time. Listen for a smooth, full sound of air passing through your PowerLung.
- PAUSE for 2 seconds to allow your muscles to adjust for exhale use.
- Breathe out through your PowerLung for 3 seconds. Completely empty your lungs at the end. Again, listen for a smooth, full sound of air passing through your PowerLung. To avoid “puffing” your cheeks use your lower abdominal muscles to help.
A repetition begins when you breathe in and completely fill your lungs, and ends when you breathe out, completely emptying your lungs. A complete set consists of a total of 10 repetitions. You can split this between mornings, afternoons, evenings or any routine that works best for you. Be sure to do it at least 2 times a day for best results.
Warm Up/Cool Down Program
Using PowerLung as a part of any warm-up/stretching before any training, practice, competition or performance assures your breathing muscles are ready to assist you in your activity. Using PowerLung as part of a relaxation/warm-down after training, practice, competition or performance makes sure the muscles are relaxed and aids in your recovery process.
Either reduce the settings on your PowerLung and perform 3 sets of 10 breaths or maintain your current settings and perform 10 to 15 breaths on your PowerLung.
Tips for Success
- Remember this is a training program. You will not see results unless you keep a daily routine.
- Train daily with PowerLung for about 3 to 4 weeks and you will start to feel a significant difference in your breathing along with increased vital capacity and reduced breathlessness.
- Remember, you are training muscles. When you stop using PowerLung, the muscles stop training and soon lose all muscle memory of the training.
- Use the Training Program for 2 weeks before adding the Warm Up/Cool Down Program.
- Use the Training Program 4 to 6 weeks before you modify it for specific sport or music training programs.
For instructions on how to clean your PowerLung, please visit the Cleaning Instructions page.
- Keep PowerLung® out of the reach of children.
- Keep PowerLung Washe® out of the reach of children.
- PowerLung products are designed for training and exercise use only. Any other use is not recommended.
- PowerLung products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
- Consult your physician before beginning this or any training program.
- If you have a medical condition, consult your physician before purchasing or using PowerLung.
- Do not disassemble PowerLung, except to remove the mouthpiece, unless otherwise instructed by a PowerLung representative.
- PowerLung is NOT microwave or dishwasher safe.