This tip was furnished to us by Jim Akins, renowned Native American flute maker and associate professor of tuba and euphonium at The Ohio State University. Professor Akins adapted this breathing exercise from one used to train breath-holding for Navy Seals because tuba and euphonium players need to have and manage their air and breathing just like Navy Seals need to.
NOTE: When doing the exercise with PowerLung, Professor Akins recommends doing this exercise only one time each week.
- Set your PowerLung at your regular training settings and place the PowerLung in your mouth.
- Inhale through your PowerLung hold your breath until you absolutely feel you can no longer hold it.
- Exhale through your PowerLung hold your breath until you absolutely feel you can no longer hold it.
- Repeat Steps 1 and 2 for a total of 3 breaths.
- Remove the PowerLung from your mouth, inhale and relax.